It’s been a long winter and I’ve had some extra time to experiment with some new recipes. I’ve fallen in love with a Roasted Red Pepper & Sweet Potato Soup. It’s dairy free, full of flavor and so easy to make.
I’ve made this so many times now, I really don’t follow the recipe and have played with several different spices. I’ve done Tumeric & Curry. Cilantro & Cumin with some Chili Powder. I’ve also added some cauliflower into the mix. As far as toppings I always add sriracha and and tortilla chips or pepitas give it a nice little crunch.
Prep time 10 mins Cook time 45 mins Total time 55 mins
A creamy, pureed soup made from roasted red peppers and sweet potatoes.
Author: Lindsey Johnson Serves: 4
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- For garnish: cashew sour cream, sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the sweet potatoes, pepper slices, diced onion, and unpeeled garlic in an even layer. Drizzle with avocado oil. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-35 minutes, or until the veggies are soft. Remove from oven. Pop the garlic out of the skins. Transfer the veggies to a blender. Add the vegetable broth and puree until smooth. Transfer to a pot and add the smoked paprika and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Turn off heat. Taste and add more salt, if needed, and cayenne, to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cashew sour cream, green onions, and an extra sprinkle of paprika.